Ergonomics? What is it and how do I improve it?
What is Ergonomics? Ergonomics is the science of matching the job to the worker and the product to the user. In construction terms, it’s the science of creating processes for comfort, functional design, and user-friendly, safe procedures that account for the interaction of products and the people who use them.
Why is it important?
- They reduce costs, which in turn help reduce costs for our clients.
- By having proper processes in place, we are able to improve productivity among our employees.
- They improve the quality of our work. Injury prone employees who are tired and fatigued won’t complete the task to the best of their ability.
- They improve employee happiness. Your employees notice when you take the time to figure out systematic plans for the best way to do something.
- It’s a crucial part of creating an excellent safety culture.
Here’s some ways we at Taurus try and improve our ergonomics.
- Avoid lengthy repetitive type motions if possible. Using a screw driver all day without frequent breaks and/or manpower rotational breaks can lead to a repetitive injury.
- Ask for help for things that are too heavy or awkward and take frequent breaks from the task when you are tired / sore.
- Keep your work area clean and orderly.
- Use the right tools for the task.
- Ensure you have enough room to work and move around without difficulty.
- Perform warm-up exercises prior to performing the task. One of the things we promote at Taurus is a morning stretch! You can read all about that HERE.
- Use adequate aids and supports to move your tools or to hold them in place.
- If in an office environment, using a keyboard perform stretching exercises of fingers, wrists, elbows, shoulders, back, neck, etc.
- Adjust workbenches and tables to the appropriate height and angle.
- Ensure chair, keypad and screens are at appropriate levels and that the chair is comfortable, adjustable, and supports your back.
- Make sure your lighting is adequate.
Hopefully by understanding what ergonomics is, why it’s important, and how to avoid it with these few tips, you can make the steps to